Tuesday, June 01, 2004

IMF message tracking ID's and Spam Report script

If you have Message Tracking Logging enabled on your server then Exchange records details about the message transfer process into the message tracking logs which can then be searched via Exchange System Manager - Message Tracking Center. A full list of Tacking ID and descriptions for Exchange 2003 can be found in the Exchange FAQ . With the release of the IMF there are now some new Tracking ID's that get logged when the IMF takes action on a message at the gateway level. The ID's look like this

1039 SMTP:Message Deleted by Intelligent Message Filtering
1040 SMTP:Message Rejected by Intelligent Message Filtering
1041 SMTP:Messgae Archived by Intelligent Message Filtering

Depending on how you have your Gateway actions set you will get 1 or 2 of theses events logged when a gateway action is performed , Eg if you have your gateway action set to archive you get a 1041 logged and then a 1039 logged.
Apart from System Manager the Message tracking logs can be accessed via WMI using the Exchange_MessageTrackingEntry Class which is part of the ROOT\MicrosoftExchangeV2 Namespace.

As part of my daily Sys-Admin duties I wanted to be able to check what emails the IMF took action on over the past day, so what I came up with is a script that uses a WMI WQL query of all the 1039 events for the past day, puts the results in a HTML table and then emails me. The script I used is below - There are some time conversion routines to convert UTC times to local and also construct the time variable format required for WQL. The only other thing of note is that I have subject logging enable on my server which the script expects. To use it I just created a scheduled task that runs the script once a day in the morning.

Its had about a day of testing (the joys of blogging) and worked okay last night Enjoy.


SpamReport = "<table border=""1"" cellpadding=""0"" cellspacing=""0"" width=""100%"">" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "<table border=""1"" cellpadding=""0"" cellspacing=""0"" width=""100%"">" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & " <tr>" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "<td align=""center"">Time</td>" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "<td align=""center"">Ip</td>" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "<td align=""center"">From</td>" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "<td align=""center"">Sent-TO</td>" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "<td align=""center"">Subject</td>" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "<td align=""center"">Size</td>" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "</tr>" & vbcrlf
strComputer = "."
set shell = createobject("wscript.shell")
strValueName = "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation\ActiveTimeBias"
minTimeOffset = shell.regread(strValueName)
toffset = datediff("h",DateAdd("n", minTimeOffset, now()),now())
dtListFrom = DateAdd("n", minTimeOffset, now())
dtListFrom = DateAdd("d",-1,dtListFrom)
strStartDateTime = year(dtListFrom)
if (Month(dtListFrom) < 10) then strStartDateTime = strStartDateTime & "0"
strStartDateTime = strStartDateTime & Month(dtListFrom)
if (Day(dtListFrom) < 10) then strStartDateTime = strStartDateTime & "0"
strStartDateTime = strStartDateTime & Day(dtListFrom)
if (Hour(dtListFrom) < 10) then strStartDateTime = strStartDateTime & "0"
strStartDateTime = strStartDateTime & Hour(dtListFrom)
if (Minute(dtListFrom) < 10) then strStartDateTime = strStartDateTime & "0"
strStartDateTime = strStartDateTime & Minute(dtListFrom)
if (Second(dtListFrom) < 10) then strStartDateTime = strStartDateTime & "0"
strStartDateTime = strStartDateTime & Second(dtListFrom) & ".000000+000"
Set objWMIService = Getobject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\MicrosoftExchangeV2")
qstr = "Select * FROM Exchange_MessageTrackingEntry where entrytype = '1039' and OriginationTime > '" & strStartDateTime & "'"
Set colLoggedEvents = objWMIService.ExecQuery(qstr,,48)
spamcount = 0
spambytes = 0
For Each objEvent in colLoggedEvents
for i = 1 to objEvent.RecipientCount
OTime = objEvent.OriginationTime
odate = dateadd("h",toffset,cdate(DateSerial(Left(OTime, 4), Mid(OTime, 5, 2), Mid(OTime, 7, 2)) _
& " " & timeserial(Mid(OTime, 9, 2),Mid(OTime, 11, 2),Mid(OTime,13, 2))))
SpamReport = SpamReport & " <tr>" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "<td align=""center"">" & formatdatetime(odate,4) & "</td>" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "<td align=""center"">" & objEvent.clientip & "</td>"& vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "<td align=""center"">" & objEvent.SenderAddress & "</td>" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "<td align=""center"">" & objEvent.RecipientAddress((i-1)) & "</td>" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "<td align=""center"">" & objEvent.Subject & "</td>" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "<td align=""center"">" & objEvent.size & "</td>" & vbcrlf
SpamReport = SpamReport & "</tr>" & vbcrlf
spamcount = spamcount + 1
spambytes = spambytes + objEvent.size
next
next
SpamReport = SpamReport & "</table>" & vbcrlf
REm Email Bit
Set objEmail = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
objEmail.From = "spamreport@yourdomain.com.au"
objEmail.To = "youremail@yourdomain.com"
objEmail.Subject = "Spam Report for " & formatdatetime(now(),2) & " " &spamcount & " Mails Blocked " _
& (spambytes\1024) & " KB"
objEmail.htmlbody = SpamReport
objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2
objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = "YourServer"
objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = 25
objEmail.Configuration.Fields.Update
objEmail.Send

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice script. worked the first time after I set the correct server and domain names.

thank you for posting this.