Thursday, November 10, 2005

Displaying deleted public folder tracking information via script in Exchange 2003 sp2 – Extended Edition

Last week I posted this script that displayed the deleted public folder audit logs. At the time I was working on a extended version that would also show information about the size of the folder that was deleted and number of items, who owned it and who the folder contacts where. I’ve had a little bit of mixed success with this script I was able to do a shallow deleted traversal query using webdav to show the size and number of items of a deleted public folder based on the information in the event log. But this only worked if the parent of the deleted folder still existed. Further more when I tried to do a propfind to work out the owner and folder contacts using the http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/security/ xml descriptors. (even though I spent a fair bit of time coming up with some script to work out the contacts) this didn't work. It seems that you can't access the soft deleted folder item directly with a propfind but you can delete and copy them. So the final result was a little bit disappointing but still useful none the less basically it works the same as last weeks script but also does a webdav query to find the size of the soft deleted folder and the number of items within that folder. This version is not setup for Form Based Authentication but that would be easy to add if you needed it. I’ve put a downloadable copy of the script here the script itself looks like


days = wscript.arguments(1)
servername = wscript.arguments(0)
SB = 0
Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
set wfile = fso.opentextfile("c:\PfDeletes.csv",2,true)
wfile.writeline("DateDeleted,FolderName,FolderID,DeletedBy-MailboxName,DeletedBy-UserName,FolderSize,NumberofItems")
dtmStartDate = CDate(Date) - days
dtmStartDate = Year(dtmStartDate) & Right( "00" & Month(dtmStartDate), 2) &
Right( "00" & Day(dtmStartDate), 2)
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" &
servername & "\root\cimv2")
Set colLoggedEvents = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_NTLogEvent
Where Logfile='Application' and Eventcode = '9682' and TimeWritten >= '" &
dtmStartDate & "' ",,48)
wscript.echo "Date Deleted FolderName FolderID Deleter-Mbox Deleter-UserName"
For Each objEvent in colLoggedEvents
SB = 1
Time_Written = cdate(DateSerial(Left(objEvent.TimeWritten, 4),
Mid(objEvent.TimeWritten, 5, 2), Mid(objEvent.TimeWritten, 7, 2)) & " " &
timeserial(Mid(objEvent.TimeWritten, 9, 2),Mid(objEvent.TimeWritten, 11,
2),Mid(objEvent.TimeWritten,13, 2)))
FolderName = Mid(objEvent.Message,8,instr(objEvent.Message,"with folder")-9)
FolderID = Mid(objEvent.Message,instr(objEvent.Message,"with folder
ID")+15,(instr(objEvent.Message,"was deleted by")-(instr(objEvent.Message,"with
folder ID")+16)))
MailboxName = Mid(objEvent.Message,instr(objEvent.Message,"was deleted
by")+15,instr(objEvent.Message,", user account")-(instr(objEvent.Message,"was
deleted by")+15))
UserName = Mid(objEvent.Message,instr(objEvent.Message,", user
account")+15,(instr(objEvent.Message,chr(13))-(instr(objEvent.Message,", user
account")+16)))
retarry = showdeletails(servername,FolderName)
wscript.echo Time_Written & " " & FolderName & " " & FolderID & " " &
MailboxName & " " & UserName & " " & retarry(0) & " " & retarry(1)
wfile.writeline(Time_Written & "," & FolderName & "," & FolderID & "," &
MailboxName & "," & UserName & "," & retarry(0) & "," & retarry(1))
next
wfile.close
set wfile = nothing
if SB = 0 then queryeventlog = "No Public Folder Deletes recorded in the last "
& days & "Days"

function showdeletails(servername,pfpath)
dim retarry(2)
retarry(0) = " "
retarry(1) = " "
if instr(2,pfpath,"/") then
lastslash = ""
for i = 2 to len(pfpath)
if mid(pfpath,i,1) = "/" then
lastslash = i
end if

next
rfolder = "http://" & servername & "/public" & left(pfpath,int(lastslash))
else
rfolder = "http://" & servername & "/public/"
end if

strQuery = "<?xml version=""1.0""?><D:searchrequest xmlns:D = ""DAV:"" >"
strQuery = strQuery & "<D:sql>SELECT ""DAV:displayname"",
""http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/proptag/x669B0014"", "
strQuery = strQuery & """http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/proptag/x66400003"",
""http://schemas.microsoft.com/exchange/permanenturl"" FROM scope('SOFTDELETED
traversal of """
strQuery = strQuery & rfolder & """') Where ""DAV:isfolder"" = True and "
strQuery = strQuery & """http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/proptag/x6707001E"" =
'" & pfpath & "'</D:sql></D:searchrequest>"
set req = createobject("microsoft.xmlhttp")
req.open "SEARCH", rfolder, false
req.setrequestheader "Content-Type", "text/xml"
req.setRequestHeader "Translate","f"
req.send strQuery
If req.status >= 500 Then
ElseIf req.status = 207 Then
set oResponseDoc = req.responseXML
set oNodeList = oResponseDoc.getElementsByTagName("d:x669B0014")
set oNodeList1 = oResponseDoc.getElementsByTagName("d:x66400003")
set oNodeList2 = oResponseDoc.getElementsByTagName("a:href")
For i = 0 To (oNodeList.length -1)
set oNode = oNodeList.nextNode
set oNode1 = oNodeList1.nextNode
set oNode2 = oNodeList2.nextNode
permurl = oNode2.text
if instr(2,pfpath,"/") then
rfold = left(pfpath,int(lastslash)-1)
else
rfold = ""
end if
wscript.echo permurl
if oNode.Text <> 0 then
retarry(0) = formatnumber(oNode.text / 1024 /1024)
retarry(1) = oNode1.text
else
retarry(0) = oNode.text
retarry(1) = oNode1.text
end if
Next
Else

End If
showdeletails = retarry
end function